The Ministry has developed the National Strategic Plan (NSP) for Tuberculosis (2017-2025) with the goal of ending TB by 2025.
The key focus areas are:
• Early diagnosis of all the TB patients, prompt treatment with quality assured drugs and treatment regimens along with suitable patient support systems to promote adherence.
• Engaging with the patients seeking care in the private sector.
• Prevention strategies including active case finding and contact tracing in high risk / vulnerable population
• Airborne infection control.
• Multi-sectoral response for addressing social determinants.
According to the World Health Organization Global TB report 2018, the estimated number of TB cases in India in 2017 was 27,40,000, amounting incidence of 204 per lakh population.
The Government has plans to use artificial intelligence (AI) for addressing various issues in TB like AI assisted TB Smear Microscopy and X-Ray in screening for TB. Also AI is being explored for monitoring treatment adherence and surveillance of TB disease at State and District levels.
The Minister of State (Health and Family Welfare), Sh Ashwini Kumar Choubey stated this in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha here today.