China threatened countermeasures on Tuesday if the United States deploys intermediate-range, ground-based missiles in Asia and warned U.S. allies of repercussions if they allow such weapons on their territory.
U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Saturday he was in favour of placing ground-launched, intermediate-range missiles in the region soon, possibly within months.
U.S. pulled out last week from the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty, a 1987 pact with the former Soviet Union that banned ground-launched nuclear and conventional ballistic and cruise missiles with ranges of 500-5,000 km. The withdrawal also allows the Pentagon to develop new weapons to counter China.
Fu Cong, Director General of the Arms Control department at China’s Foreign Ministry, said Beijing “will not stand by idly ” and warned “China will be forced to take countermeasures”.
You need to subscribe or sign-up to read Today's Paper articles.
Already a subscriber? Sign in
Find mobile-friendly version of articles from the day's newspaper in one easy-to-read list.
Enjoy reading our articles without intrusion from advertisements.
A select list of articles that match your interests and tastes.
Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly.
A one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences.
We brief you on the latest and most important developments, three times a day.
*Our Digital Subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper or Android, iPhone, iPad mobile applications and print. Our plans enhance your reading experience on the website.
Support The Hindu's new online experience with zero ads.
Already a user? Sign In